Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Girl in Translation


Around January my mom lent me Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok to read before heading back for the second semester of my Sophomore year. Well, being an English major I never got around to reading the book because I was too busy reading the entire Bible (for Foundations of Western Lit, not because I'm in Seminary school) and the Canterbury Tales, too read anything fun. But I finally can say that I finished this book and I liked it.

It's a coming of age story of a young girl, Kim Chang, who emigrated from Hong Kong with her mother in the late seventies. Upon arriving in America she finds herself living in squalor and in dept to her Aunt who saved her from Hong Kong. In order to get her and her mother out of their situation she begins a double life where she climbs the academic ladder by day and works at the sweat shop by night. Ah-Kim, triumphs over so much and has such a strong bond with her mom throughout the entire story. I definitely recommend that you read this book and then have your mom read it as well.

Anyone else have any recommendations for Summer Reads?

Shannon

2 comments:

  1. This book sounds really interesting! I just started Wild (coincidentally Oprah's bookclub book right now.) Have you read Room, Unbroken, Defending Jacob or The Secret Life of Henrietta Lacks? I loved all of those. I can send you a TON of recommendations if you want :)

    SO wonderful meeting you on Sunday, I love your blog header. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and 'm all open for recommendations. Also, I never read the Henrietta Lacks book, but I know her family came to my college this year to discuss the situation.

      Delete